FIRST, some good news, from today people who are fully vaccinated can meet in groups of five adults (plus children) outside to “recreate” for one hour.
Editor’s note: Personally, I am looking forward to a “happy hour” with a few fully vaccinated friends in the sun, albeit briefly.
ERROR: Unfortunately the cabin fever has gotten to me and NO the “happy hour” begins next week on Monday, September 13. So sorry folks…it’s another week. I’ve put away the G&T ingredients until next Monday to celebrate.
Due to the growing case numbers in regional New South Wales, the lockdown will continue.
Restrictions will ease in various local government areas (LGAs) and regions when case numbers are low and vaccination rates are high. Currently the benchmark for fewer restrictions is 70 percent and 80 percent.
Case numbers are expected to peak in the next week or two, with hospitalisation peaks expected in early to mid-October.
Premier Gladys Berejiklian said there are currently 177 people in intensive care and there is capacity across the state to surge to 1,550 beds, with an average of 400 beds being used for standard ICU admissions for the range of health needs.
In the past 24 hours:
- 1,282 new cases of covid-19 were diagnosed;
- 11,000 people with covid are being cared for in the community;
- 1,071 people are receiving hospital care;
- 177 people are in intensive care and
- 67 people are being ventilated.
Five people have passed away:
- A man in his 90s who was fully vaccinated and had significant underlying conditions;
- A woman in her 80s had received one dose of the vaccine and had significant underlying conditions;
- A woman in her 50s who was unvaccinated;
- A woman in her 80s who was unvaccinated and
- A man in his 60s who tested positive after passing away and the case is being investigated by the coroner.
Case numbers in regional New South Wales:
- 35 Dubbo
- 9 Wollongong
- 8 Shoalhaven
- 6 Bourke
- 6 Broken Hill
- 4 Shellharbour
- 3 Lake Macquarie
- 3 Queanbeyan
- 2 Goulburn
- 2 Orange
- 1 Maitland
- 1 Narromine
- 1 Wilcannia
- 1 Port Stephens
- 1 Batemans Bay (since 8pm last night)
- 1 Cooma (since 8pm last night)