THE Merriwa-Willow Tree Road has been closed to all vehicles until further notice, due to the risk of landslip, deeming it unsafe to travel on.
The Upper Hunter Shire Council announced the closure one hour ago via its Facebook page stating, “the closure has been undertaken to ensure the safety of road users, based on geotechnical advice.”
Motorists travelling between Merriwa and Willow Tree will now have to take an alternative route via the New England Highway and the Scone Bunnan Road, which will add an additional 30 minutes of travel time.
- Government investigating Merriwa-Willow Tree Road – January 12, 2021
- Request to close Merriwa-Willow Tree Road – November 19, 2020
- Take two: Merriwa Willow Tree Road another $7 million – November 9, 2020
- Merriwa Willow Tree Road $2 Million Rehabilitation – September 29, 2020
- Editorial: Merriwa-Willow Tree Road Damage Control – August 13, 2020
- Will Locals Pay the Price for Willow Tree Road? – June 26, 2020
- Merriwa – Willow Tree Road: “A Disaster” – June 25, 2020
- Botched Roadwork Will Cost Ratepayers Millions – June 23, 2020
- What Merriwa Locals Say About Willow Road Failure – June 12, 2020
- Willow Tree Road: Uninsured and Another Loan – June 9, 2020