THE Premier reported there have only been 16 new cases of Covid-19 confirmed in the past 24 hours but cautioned there were only 1,300 tests conducted.
The government is aiming to get back to testing 4,500 per day and strongly encourage people in suburbs where community transmission is being identified to be tested no matter how mild the symptoms.
Dr Kerry Chant, chief medical officer said the staff member of Anglicare who was confirmed with Covid-19 only had a symptom of a “scratchy throat” and was “absolutely mortified” to learn she tested positive.
Dr Chant stressed people should have “incredibly high awareness of even minor changes in your health”.
Ruby Princess – Special Commission of Enquiry
Premier Gladys Berejiklian announced a special commission of enquiry for the Ruby Princess led by Brett Walker SC who will have “unlimited powers”, which will take three to four months.
The Premier said she was looking forward to the Special Enquiry “because everybody wants answers, everybody wants to get to the bottom of that issue.”
The police will continue with their criminal investigation which they have indicated may take six months and some information gathered by police may not be able to be released to the public.
The Premier made the decision to have the Special Commission of Enquiry so that all information can be made available to the public in a quicker timeframe.
Licence Fees Waived
The government has announced $50 million in funding for businesses to waive licence fees with the government. It is estimated more than 200,000 businesses will be eligible to have government licences waived.
- 16 confirmed new cases
- 214 are hospitalised
- 29 are in ICU
- 18 people are being ventilated
- Anglicare Aged Care Facility: 10 cases have been confirmed, 6 staff and 4 residents.
- The staff member from Anglicare also worked at a disability service in Greysteins where another four close contacts were made with residents and six with other staff, who are now all in isolation.
- The Ruby Princess is scheduled to depart this Sunday
- Another man was taken off the ship for appendicitis
- A handful of tickets issued for not isolating