“It is critical that we can get those testing levels up to really understand as soon as possible whether there are any undiagnosed cases there so we can make the best public health decisions,” she said.
A woman in her 80s from Sydney’s inner west who died at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital and a man in his 20s from south-west Sydney who died at his home.
The young man was a confirmed Covid-19 case and was being checked daily by staff from the South-Western Sydney Local Health District while isolating at his home.
Dr Kerry Chant said the man had no underlying conditions and “suddenly deteriorated.”
“We are aware that with Covid-19 you can get sudden deaths and I think that is important to understand that your health status can deteriorate and you can have sudden death with Covid-19,” Dr Chant said.
His death has been referred to the New South Wales Coroner.
Covid-19 case breakdown
- 233 new locally acquired cases;
- 103 are linked to a known case or cluster;
- 79 are household contacts;
- 24 are close contacts;
- 130 cases remain under investigation;
- 92 cases were in isolation throughout their infectious period;
- 21 cases were in isolation for part of their infectious period;
- 47 cases were infectious in the community;
- 73 cases are under investigation for their isolation status.
- 286 cases have been admitted to hospital;
- 53 people are in the Intensive Care Unit;
- Of the 53 cases in ICU, 5 people are aged in their 20s, 6 are in their 30s, 3 are in their 40s, 18 are in their 50s, 11 are in their 60s and 10 are in their 70s;
- 23 people require ventilation.
- NSW Health administered 25,470 vaccines during the last 24 hours;
- 4,053,592, total vaccines have been administered in NSW since February.